Ginger and Turmeric Aromatic Rice
Serves , as a side course
1 cup basmati brown rice
1 tablespoon coconut oil or oil of choice
2 large cloves garlic, minced
1 tablespoon ginger, peeled and grated
1 teaspoon turmeric, peeled and grated*
¾ teaspoon salt
2 cups boiling water
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
½ cup dried cranberries
¼ cup fresh cilantro, chopped
¼ cup pine nuts
1. Pour the dry rice into a bowl and cover with cool water. Soak for 15 minutes, then drain.
2. While rice is soaking, put on a kettle of water and bring to a full boil.
3. Add the coconut oil, garlic, and ginger to a medium-sized pot and heat to medium. Sauté until very fragrant, about 3 minutes.
4. Add the rice, turmeric and salt, and sauté an additional 2 to 3 minutes.
5. Add 2 cups of boiling water, reduce heat and simmer, covered until water is absorbed, about 30 to 35 minutes.
6. A few minutes before rice is finished cooking, stir the fresh lemon juice and dried cranberries into the rice. Re-place the cover and continue to cook.
7. Serve with fresh cilantro and pine nuts alongside your favorite main dish.
For additional recipe details, please visit the site of our generous contributor: TheRoastedRoot.